When it comes to attaching Impact Weapon Component’s Mount-N-Slot hardware, don’t limit yourself to only the places that you have a pre-made slot. The flat sides of the Magpul MOE Hand Guards make attaching a Mount-N-Slot in a custom location an easy task.
In this installment of the Tactical Handyman, we will mount a Mount-N-Slot Rotation Limited QD Sling on midlength Magpul MOE Hand Guards. The midlength MOE Hand Guards lack slots on the sides close to the receiver which is a shame because this is an optimal place to mount a sling swivel.
- Mount-N-Slot of your choice
- Magpul MOE Hand Guards
- Drill with 7/32″ bit
- Ruler (with long straight edge)
- Awl (optional but can be useful for cleaning up or slightly enlarging the drill holes, a Swiss Army Knife works great)
- Check that your Ar-15 is unloaded by removing the magazine and then visually inspecting the chamber. Once you have completed this, check it again. Remove all ammunition from your work space.
- Remove the MOE Hand Guards from your AR-15.
- Use your ruler and pencil to draw a line that runs through the center of the slots, parallel to the bore. NOTE: The results of steps 3-5 are shown in the picture above.
- Mark the drill hole closest to the delta ring on the line taking care to place it in such a way that the Mount-N-Slot can lay flat when mounted.
- Mark your second drill hole by measuring 11/16″ from your first hole. The two mounting points on a Mount-N-Slot Rotation Limited QD Sling are about 11/16″ center to center. You will have to measure any other Mount-N-Slot you may be using.
- Drill both holes using a 7/32″ drill bit.
- Clean up the holes as necessary with an awl or small sharp knife.
- Attach the Mount-N-Slot per manufacturer instructions using the two newly drilled holes instead of a slot.
This is a simple project with a big pay off in increased functionality. Mounting the sling in this location improves the range of motion you will have with the AR slung and keeps the hand guard well clear so you have plenty of room to hold it with your support hand.
Remember to use the coupon code “triggerjerk” at checkout to receive 5% discount at IWC.