I was first alerted to Atibal optics from following Russell Phagan’s work at SinistralRifleman.com and I have been watching the development of their Velocity 1-4x FFP which is now available. This looks like an interesting optic for a number of reasons.
Atibal didn’t try to do too much with the reticle. It seems strange, at first glance, that they would put a simple crosshair reticle in the first focal plane for a 1-4×24. It makes more sense when you take into account the large thicker heavier elements of the reticle. The heavier elements of the reticle act like a classic German #4 reticle, known for speed and low-light performance, when the scope is set at 1x. The finer, .9 MOA thick, floating cross hairs enlarge with the image as you zoom to 4X allowing for more precision.
I actually prefer a well designed crosshair reticle to just about anything for all around use and this one appears to have a lot of potential. A crosshair reticle with a fine aiming point and heavy outer elements can be both very precise and very fast while also offering solid performance in transitional light. A BDC reticle can be nice but for a basic carbine, this is all you need to shoot from muzzle distance to 300 yards without much trouble. It would also be well suited to something like a short range hunting rifle.
This scope has 4.8″ of eye relief which I like. It makes it easier to see around and past the optic when you are shooting with both eyes open.
Initial reports on the glass in this optic have been encouraging. Atibal touts that the optic is made in Japan and that it compares favorably with some very high glass. They also claim that it is especially rugged thanks to a patent pending magnification mechanism.
Perhaps the biggest potential fly in the ointment on this optic is its weight. At 18 ounces, it is a bit of a porker but that weight may be able to be mitigated with a lighter mount like those from Aero Precision which are offered for sale with the Velocity 1-4x.
Features and Specs:
- Lifetime Warranty
- Front Focal Plane (FFP)
- Red Illuminated Free Floating Crosshair
- 7 Brightness Settings
- Fully multi-coated lens providing over 95% light transmission
- H lens coating UV-curable hard coat, much more scratch-resistant than most UV coatings commercially available.
- Low profile windage and elevation adjustment
- Water proof with or without elevation and windage caps.
- Shock Proof
- Fog Proof
- Magnification: 1-4x
- Twilight Factor: 4.9-9.8
- Objective Lens Diameter: 24mm
- Eye Relief: 4.8 inches
- Field of View: 27.5-63 feet / 100 meters
- Tube Size: 30 mm
- Turret Style: Low Cap
- Adjustment Per Click: 1/2 MOA
- Max Elevation Adjustment: 120 MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment: 120 MOA
- Weight: 18 ounces with no mount
- Length: 10.25 inches
- Made of 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum